f

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fashion Show Garment 3

The theme of this year's fashion show was Hooray For Hollywood. I bought the wool I used for the coat quite a long time ago. It was actually a remnant that I found at Vogue. One of the segments was Out of Africa. I found the faux fur while I was in Novi last September. At that point I knew exactlly what I wanted to do. Sadly, the pictures that my husband took at the show, are a little difficult to see, but at least you get an idea.
Before I took this picture I should have given a quick steam to my coat. After the show I was exhausted and left everything in the garments bags for a week. The coat is really quite nice, although, I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to make a winter white coat while I own two black dogs.
The pattern was a lucky find on Ebay.
I wasn't able to make buttonholes as I am waiting on two more buttons to arrive. This button I bought while we were skiing in Taos, New Mexico a few years ago. I found it in a knit shop. It's actually the very bottom section of an elk antler. When I decided to make the coat, I knew I wanted to use this button, but I had bought only one. So the search was on. I finally found a guy in Montana who makes beads and buttons from antlers. The buttons should arrive soon. For the time being, I sewed a large snap under the button and called it a day.

The faux fur that I used on the collar has the same design as the giraffe print I used for the lining. When I saw the fur I knew I just had to find a giraffe print lining. Thanks to High Fashion Fabrics in Houston, I was able to find exactly what I wanted. The skirt is made from a faux suede home dec fabric. I doesn't wrinkle!! It's just wonderful.






The top is one of my designs. The pattern is a little weird. The right side of the pattern is completely different from the left side. I also made the necklace. The beads are a natural stone. I can't remember the name of the stone. I had them on the other day. I was freezing, as usual. The beads somehow held my body heat and felt great around my neck. Now I'll have to see how they react during the summer. I may feel like I have a ring of fire around my neck.




And finally, the shoes. I'm a firm believer that you can find great looking shoes anywhere if you just look. I was in Walmart, yes, Walmart. I have to admit that I was a little shocked myself. Here were these great embossed leather, yes leather shoes. Oh happy day! They look fantastic with the skirt. I really love the outfit.

I've already worn the skirt and top. Even though we are just at the end of a very long winter, I can't wait for a nice cold day so I can wear my coat. I probably shouldn't let anyone know that or they may have my head.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are posting these photos on your blog - even though I was at the show it was hard to see the garments. Your coat is absolutely stunning!! Well, the whole outfit is beautiful, but I LOVE the coat! I have never seen that pattern before, if I had you would have had to find a different one, because I'd have snapped it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay,
    This is one spectacular coat pattern. I loved putting it together. The pattern was just a lucky find. I think that there were maybe 6 coat patterns in the lot that I bought. Some more spectaular than others. I wish you had been able to stay another day. I hope that you can come to the show next year and we'll be able to spend some time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kay. Our table was at the end of the runway and all the photography equipment hindered our view. Spectacular outfit!

    ReplyDelete