f

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Bottecelli Woman


I'm sure you're familiar with the paintings of Sandro Botticelli. The above painting is entitled "Primavera," and the painting below is entitled, "The Birth of Venus." Such beautiful pieces.


You can just imagine how shocked I was to find this fabric. It's not exactly Botticelli, but you can definitely see the resemblance. I love the soft shades of sea foam green, peach, gray and brown. When I look at the fabric, I feel as though I can somehow enter and find myself in another place in time.
I've had the fabric for a while and just wasn't sure what I would like to do with it. Then one day back in May I was in High Fashion Fabrics in Houston, Texas and I came across the fabric pictured below.


I immediately thought of the Botticelli like fabric and thought that it would work, but I wasn't sure so since I knew that I would be back in a few months, I thought I would wait. After all, there was plenty on the bolt (kiss of death). So when I made my pilgrimage back to High Fashion a week or so ago, there was only one fabric on my mind. I went to where it had been, no fabric. Then I began my search. I looked under bolts, under tables, I went up and down the aisles of silks, looking, looking, looking. There was no fabric to be found. After almost an hour of looking I just had to give it one last try, so I asked one of the ladies who cuts fabric if she had any memory of the fabric. No, but she said, "let's go look one last time." Back to the back wall where it had originally been, nothing, then we went down a bit and I found it, tucked behind another bolt of fabric. I felt as though I had just struck gold.

This was one of three pieces that I bought that day, but this was by far the most important. Yes, I could use another fabric, but when you've seen something that will be perfect, it's hard to let that go. I'm glad I didn't have to. So now, what do I make? I'm thinking a skirt and I think I may do a coat and line the coat with the Botticelli fabric. One of those nice surprises inside. For the blouse, I think I will do something with some very flowy sleeves. Fun.
I think there was a lesson here, but I'll probably leave something to chance again, lesson lost. But then again, maybe we aren't supposed to always learn a lesson. Had I bought the fabric when I first saw it, I never would have experienced the joy that I did when I found it. And let me tell you, I smiled a lot that day!
Wishing you lots of smiles!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

3 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I can hardly wait to see your creations with these marvelous, unusual fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found your fabric! I know that feeling when you miss out on getting something you saw and wish you had bought it the first time...been there many times! I'm anxiously awaiting your final creations with the beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found your fabric! I know that feeling when you miss out on getting something you saw and wish you had bought it the first time...been there many times! I'm anxiously awaiting your final creations with the beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete