f

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Mary Bridge Pillowcases, Just Shy of 200!!!

I continue to be inspired by the generosity of so many sewists. With this week's addition, the count stands at 194 donated pillowcases. Incredible!!
This week I received 5 from a wonderful lady, Cennetta of http://themahoganystylist.blogspot.com/.
The cases seem to echo the sunshine of the day and I especially love the monkeys!
Cennetta's very lovely daughter, Lauren is just learning to sew and she did 10! Way to go Lauren!!!

Lauren loves games and fantasy so she put a little touch of that in one of her cases.
Lauren included a note,
"The pillowcases project was a lot of fun. I made a lot of mistakes, cut things wrong and got things nipped by the serger. I broke so many needles because I had the tension wrong. However, I learned that sometimes recovery is possible, that improvisation is a good thing and that little details make all the difference."
Another 10 cases came in from Joanne. She also sent along a note,
"Who would have thought that making pillowcases would be so much fun. The added benefit was that I got to use up some of my fabric stash!"
I love all the fabrics that everyone chooses and how creatively they are put together. The print on the one below is precious. Sadly I took the picture with the sun shining behind the case so it is difficult to see. Joanne added an eyelet band which sets it off perfectly.
Jumping frogs,
and tiny little boats.
We will be at the half way point, 450 fairly soon. It's such a joy to see this all come together. A friend of mine is hosting a pillowcase party in a couple of weeks. She said, "I'm going to push them hard and they won't be able to drink anything stronger than kool-aid!"
So, for anyone who is new to this, I am trying to collect 900 pillowcases for the Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma, Washington. Each child who is admitted to the hospital is given the opportunity to choose a pillowcase. The cases add color and joy to an all to white and sterile environment. If you would like to donate a pillowcase, even 1 would be appreciated, please email me at sewbussted@yahoo.com and let me know. The drive for pillowcases will continue through the summer so there is plenty of time.
Here is a link to the simplified instructions that I posted,  http://www.rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-simplified-pillowcase-instructions.html The pillowcases are very easy to make and go together in no time at all.
Thank you Cennetta, Lauren and Joanne. You're just the best ;)
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. Rhonda, my pleasure. This pillowcase project has inspired us to make some pillowcases for personal use. It is such a fun project. Lauren has made four more for herself. ;-) Sooner or later, she'll make her dresses. Tee Hee. Please expect more pillowcases from the Burwell/Walker family.
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this project just might have been the confidence builder that Lauren needed. Keep the faith Mama!! BTW, Cleo is the one who is having the pillowcase party. I cannot wait to see what she does :)

      Delete
    2. Go Ms. Cleo! I can't wait to see.

      Delete
    3. She is one little power house!!!!

      Delete