f

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday's Soup

  • At long last, I'm back with a soup recipe. For the next few weeks I will be trying out some of the recipes that I found on the Panera Bread website. I was so pleased with the Tomato Soup recipe that I posted here, http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2013/05/sundays-soup_19.html, so I thought I would give some of the other recipes a try as well. The soup that I made today is called
    The ingredients; 
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup wheatberries
  • 1½ cups cooked dried (or rinsed and drained canned) cannellini beans
  • 6 ounces kale, thick stems removed and leaves chopped into bite-size pieces (about 6 cups)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • ¼ cup grated Parmesan

    DIRECTIONS

Warm the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and bay leaf, cover the pot, and bring the liquid to a boil over high heat. Stir in the wheatberries, return the broth to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the wheat berries are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
Remove and discard the bay leaf. Transfer about 3 cups of soup (mostly solids) to a blender and puree until smooth.
Return the puree to the soup pot and add the beans, kale, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the rosemary. Cook until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar.
Divide the soup among eight bowls and garnish with the cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon of rosemary. 

I did make a few small changes. Rather than the large kale, I used baby kale.
I also added 2 banana peppers to the soup. Other than that, I made the recipe exactly as instructed and the verdict is....it is a wonderful soup, and I will be making it again!
Next week I'll have another, so drop back by.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic. Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the soup for dinner tonight and it was so very good. I'll be making it again.

      Delete