f

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Master Sewing And Design Professional Certification Progam

It has been a while since I have posted about my journey of working through the MSDP program.
As I shared with you in this post, I will be working on the certification process and hopefully finishing it by the end of 2014. Each participant is given a two year time frame to complete the process. I would like to clarify that this is not a course. There are seven modules that you are tested on,
Design
Fit
Fabrics
Fashion Illustration
Garment Construction
Pattern Development
Professional Practices
Each module has guidelines. The module that I am currently working on is Fabrics or you might refer to it as textiles. Here are a few of the areas that I will be tested on;
*Describe the differences and similarities of woven and knit fabrics
*Identify five different types of natural fibers, and the advantages and disadvantages of each
*Describe the different types of silk
*Describe five different fabrics that have a nap or pile.
*Predict the fabric performance of six knit fabrics based on the fiber and knit type.
There are fourteen areas in total, I have just given you a sample. There is not a textbook provided for the certification process. It is up to me to find the material that I need to answer the questions and with other modules to do the tasks that are required.
The fabrics module is an online test and even better, an open book test. As I prepare for the test, I would like to share some of what I learn in order to pass the test. One that I think you will find particularly interesting is;
*Describe the expected result of a burn test on the listed fabrics.
There are eight fabrics listed. I'll actually do a real burn test and show you what happens. Hopefully I won't burn my house down!! So come back by next Thursday for the burn test post. If you've never done a burn test, I think you will enjoy seeing what happens to different types of fabric when they are burned and how you can determine if for instance a fabric that is marked as 100% wool really is 100% wool.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda,
    Good luck with your burn test! I have done burn testing with my students (I teach refuge women to sew in the Chicago suburbs). Our problem has always been pinpointing the smell...did that smell like feathers? celery? A lot of our fabrics are donated and are probably blends, which may be harder to id than pure fibers. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to these post for real. Since i'm such a new sewer i feel i have so much i should learn in my sewing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just had long post and lost it, so if you get two post from me ... Sorry. Anyway, I have been eagerly waiting to read more on this certification program. I'm looking forward to seeing your results on the burn test. I have "Sewing Secrets from the Fashion Industry, Proven Methods to Help You Sew The Pros" and it has burn results of 10 fabrics including the odor they give off and description of the flame and burn. I'll try to do a post soon if anyone wants to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sew for vintage and antique dolls so I am always burning a diagonally cut snippet of any fabric I find at the thrift or antique stores. I like to think I can detect silk easily as I have been told it smells like burning hair. Cotton burns to ash. Synthetics melt. Easy, right? The hard part is the blends and I have not yet ever taken a warp and weft thread to burn separately. With my hot flashes, all I have to do is put it on and I can tell if its synthetic!! This program sounds fantastic and something I would love to do. Do you have to have fashion school training to do this program? If I had my life to live over, and of course knew what I know now, I would have gone to Phila. Textile or some other textile and design school. I wish you all the very best in this endeavor and can hardly wait to read follow-up posts as you progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to your burn test post. I burn fabrics occasionally, but still not confident in my interpretation of the results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! I look forward to your posts on ALL of the topics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to reading about your burn test. It sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen Sandra Betzina and Peggy Sagers do the burn tests. Problem is, I can never remember what fabric burns in what way. We need a cheat sheet to keep in our sewing rooms. Love all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda, I wish you all the very best with this certification - you must be quite excited about it. Awaiting the results of your burn test. I think acetate is tested with acetone - it melts, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am truly looking forward to following you along this journey. I think it is something I would like to attempt at some point. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete