f

Monday, June 20, 2016

Monday Morning Inspiration/Making The Bucket Hat

Whew, my posting has been kind of a nonexistent thing the past few days. But the break was good :)

I had promised last week to do a quick tutorial on how I put together the bucket hat from Lost In Paris. Super cute hat, great for throwing in your bag to have on hand for when you find yourself out in the sun and needing a little extra protection. As I said last week, I liked the pattern so much that I made up 2 hats. I especially like the reversible aspect of the hat.

Below is my basic denim hat.


Another denim hat, but this time in white with a fun travel print on the flip side. You can also play with the brim and give it a fedora look.


This is a one size hat pattern, so my recommendation is to cut out the side of the hat and slip it on. If it seems comfortable, you're good to go! 


To prepare the pattern, fold the crown in half and mark notches. Fold it in half again and mark notches. You will have notches for center front, center back and the sides.


Be sure to mark notches on the side of the hat as well as the brim.


Sew the crown to the side of the hat. All seam allowances are 1/2". Once the seam has been sewn, press open.


By pressing the seam open, the crown will lay much nicer.


Now sew the lining of the brim to the outside fabric, but only the bottom edge.


Trim the seam allowance to 1/4". Turn and press the edge.


Now sew the brim to the main body of the hat. Note that the lining is not included yet.


Now sew the crown to the side panels of the lining. Be sure to press the crown seam just as the did for the outer fabric. Slip the main body of the hat inside the lining of the top of the hat. Stitch around the hat leaving at least a 4" opening for turning.

Turn the hat right side out and slip stitch the opening closed. 


The hat will be secure when turned from one side to the other. 

This is a great project for anyone who is learning to sew. It makes up quickly and it's a project that insures success. And we all know, a first project really does need to be successful.

Just one last note before I go, I added a link to the Martha Stewart hat in last week's post. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!! I once again downloaded the pattern hoping that they had corrected the mistakes. They have not. It's an awful pattern. Here's the link just so you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hope you have a chance to get "Lost In Paris" and have a little fun with a bucket hat. I think you'll love having one....or two or three :) to throw on.

Have a wonderful week!
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rhonda! This will be a great, quick project for my class next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hosting a teenager this summer, and she specifically said that she wants to learn to sew. This is on the list of things to make. I think your class will love the hat pattern.

      Delete
    2. How nice that you are hosting an exchange student. I hope you both have a wonderful time and that she enjoys learning to sew.

      Delete
  2. Cute hats. I should make one to wear while gardening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't offer a huge amount of shade, but some. Some I better than none :)

      Delete