f

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Where's Waldo???

Have you ever played the eye teasing game of Where's Waldo? If not, the game is about this guy, Waldo. He seems to be able to loose himself in crowds at circuses, art museums, beaches, and cities all over the world. He's really quite the well traveled guy!   




The pictures look like the one below. You can literally search for hours and NOT FIND WALDO!!! So frustrating to say the least.


The reference here of course is to me and where I've been. To be honest, I have felt a little like Waldo, going about my daily life, but a little lost in the crowd. But, I'm back, and once again, very visible :)

For those of you who have been looking for the completion of the Easy V Super Express Top from Islander Patterns, I should have the next video up later today. This is the most important video as I will show you how easy the "burrito technique" is for finishing the neckline. Once I've shown you how to finish the neckline, I'll then share some fun possibilities with you.

Lots of fun things are coming up. On Monday, I will be hosting a fabulous giveaway that you won't want to miss out on. So be sure to pop back by.  

In September, I will be teaching at The Original Sewing and Quilt Expo in Schaumbug, IL. The date of the expo is September 28, 29, and 30 2017. The classes for Schaumburg have not been posted, but I'm sure they will be up soon. I'll share more about what I'll be doing in upcoming posts.


I'll also be teaching at The Original Sewing and Quilt Expo in Fredericksburg, VA October 5, 6, and 7, 2017. All of the info is up on the website and you can find it HERE.  I'll talk more about what I'll be teaching in upcoming posts. I am so very honored to have been asked to teach. And even better, I'm going to have the opportunity to talk about something that has been a passion for well, just about forever ;) 

Now for just a few fun things...

I had dinner with my niece on Tuesday night. First of all, I feel like the most blessed person in the world when it comes to her. If I have not been in touch for a while, I'll receive an email reminding me that I have not been in touch and that she would like to get together. The only bad thing about the time we share is that it flies by far too quickly :( BTW, we had dinner at this fabulous little taco restaurant in Chicago called Rojo Gusano. I'm a little apprehensive about sharing this little gem as they were already quite busy, but...I can't resist sharing something wonderful. If you live in, or near Chicago, GO! If you visit Chicago, GO! The tacos are served ala carte. If you like mushrooms, get the mushroom taco, absolutely incredible. The drinks are also fabulous and quite inventive. We both enjoyed our meal and will be returning with our husbands...maybe ;)

She just came back from a fabulous trip to Japan and South Korea. I was shocked when she pulled out a gift that she had picked up for me, a gorgeous square of fabric. 

  
She found it at a store in Kyoto called Kamiji Kakimoto. The store is known for its selection of washi paper. She said that they had a small display of fabrics that were locally made and she just couldn't resist a treat for me. The fabric is silk and so gorgeous. The picture really doesn't do it justice. I have decided to keep the piece intact and make a little clutch bag with a zipper, just something simple, but meaningful.

Over this past weekend, I was in St. Louis, Missouri for the annual opera festival. What a wonderful time I had, but then, I always do :) The most dramatic operas were The Grapes of Wrath and Madame Butterfly. Both were amazing productions.  I stopped by a Joann's fabric store to pick up some knitting needles and my eyes fell upon this magazine, Sew Style Simplicity.


Sew Style is a U.K. published magazine. You may remember the Sew Now magazine that I featured a few weeks back. This magazine is similar, but rather than 2 patterns, it comes with 3.
  

Inside the magazine, you'll find links to ton of free patterns. I've featured a few below, the little peplum top, the front buttoned skirt, the super cute pleated skirt, and even something for the mommy to be!


There are also a number of accessory patterns as well, like the satchel bag and the laptop bag. The neck pillow and zip pouch would make an easy to make, great gift for anyone going on a vacation. 


So, if you are in the United States, look for the magazine at your local fabric store. You can also find it HERE online. My small investment was well worth the entertainment that I received from the magazine.

Earlier this month, I was in Colorado. Oh my, Colorado is SO incredibly beautiful in the summer. We stopped in the quaint little historic city of Georgetown to snoop around a bit. I popped into their museum and in their store I was so excited to find these sweet crocheted yokes,



I think I only paid $15.00 for the pair. The manager of the gift shop said that they had been their for quite some time and no one knew what they were or what could be done with them. Well, lucky me! They will now find a nice home on a top or dress, and probably a pair of pajamas. 

Hope you are having a fabulous summer, or winter as the case may be. 
See you soon!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. As always loved your post, but your crochet yokes were inspirational! I have some lovely fabric to make a dress but it would be a little overpowering and I wasn't happy with any other fabric to team it with. The answer came in your post :-) crochet a yoke or make one out of lace! Result a lovely dress which has a reminder of you. By the way I wanted to tell you how much I value and appreciate the tape measure that I won. It's truly made a huge difference to my dressmaking as I'm alone and so miss out on a spare pair of hands to hold the tape or read off the measurements. Take care, Lucy in Kent England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy!
      I'm so happy to hear that the tape measure has been such a joy 😊
      And who would have thought that my little antique crocheted yoke find would be so inspirational! Good luck with your project. Thanks for the note!

      Delete
  2. Hi Rhonda, nice to catch up :) You have been busy. Love that square of fabric. it will look lovely as a small clutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at the airport all day yesterday, so today is the first day i'bmve had to look at the fabric and think of the possibilities. Since I wrote the post, I've thought of a pillow and maybe another type of bag with a leather back and shoulder straps. Who knows? I'll let it speak to me a little more before I decide. Such fun to dream 😊

      Delete
  3. It's always good to hear from you. I looking forward to your video on the Islander Super V top. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still owe you a ride! The plane should be finished and ready to fly next week.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rhonda! Love seeing a post from you, always uplifting. I LOVE those crocheted yokes! Pajamas sound perfect, maybe teamed with a lovely voile or batiste or even a maxi dress maybe? They also reminded me I have one in stash I crocheted ages ago when I did lots of crochet. Stay safe in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep going back and forth on the crocheted yokes, but you gave me some direction with the maxi dress idea. For a maxi dress, I especially like using smaller of the 2.
      So happy that I was able to spur a memory. Hope you have some time to get your yoke out and use it!

      Delete
  5. Waldo is Wally here in the UK. Much time spent over those pictures 😉.
    The fabric from your niece is gorgeous - I know you will do it justice.

    ReplyDelete